RP Fighting Guide - Tips

Go down

RP Fighting Guide - Tips

Post  Kaylia on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:04 am

I decided to put this under Character Development, because it is rather critical to Character Development, in a way.
I want to put more on this subject, but for now I will leave it at this.
I don't want this to be considered as Rules, but as 'Prefered'.

RP Fighting:

Back to a basic and critical aspect of Rping, Percentages.
Calculating the percentages is surprisingly important in RP, even when not in a battle. - My style of RP has never revolved around dice, though the same principles apply to D&D and other related table top Rping games.
- The basic things to always keep in mind are; Advantage/Disadvantage, Surprise.
The element of surprise can totally change how a scene plays out, and the better calculated something is, the more realistic and smooth it runs.

Basic example of Advantage/Disadvantage:
A male naturally has more strength than a female, making his advantage go up.
(I am sticking to a very basic model, not taking into account that players may choose to role characters that have totally difference advantages and disadvantages. For instance, a barbarian woman would probably out strength a priest man, if it came to hand to hand combat. I am not taking into account personal choice or race, I am only using a totally basic model.)
= 60% VS. 50% - 60/40 - 6 out of 10 VS. 5 out of 10.

Another example:
James is sat at a desk. To grab Jo’s hand to stop her from leaving as he wants to do, he would have to push back his chair, move around the table and reach for her. He is at a disadvantage. Jo would spot him action before he had even begun to move out of his chair, giving her time to react, to run away. She is at an advantage.
= 60 Joe / 50 James

- In any situation, you must be weary of God Emoting (also known as Power Emoting). God emoting is the worst thing a player can do, to their fellow players, to characters, and to fun. God Emoting is a joy kill, a shot in the head, and can’t be looked upon without a frown.
Example of God Emoting:
*Tom cut Lily’s fingers off.*
*James grabbed Jo.*
*Jillian stabbed Bob.*
- Correction:
*Tom tried to cut Lily’s fingers off.*
*James pushed out of his chair and moved to grab Jo.*
*Jillian tried to stab Bob.*
- The difference is immense, and completely changes the atmosphere of everything. No player likes to be given no choice. Example.
*Tom grabbed Lily’s hand and tried to cut Lily’s fingers off with his meat cleaver.
Lily jerked out of Tom’s grip and threw a punch toward the offender.
Tom was struck by Lily, his meat cleaver clattering to the floor as he lost grip of it.* (Two good examples of fair RP.)
- But, there is a way around God Emoting without having to do the dance of Asking, Attempting, Trying, to make your character do something to another. With Trust, Friendship, Fairness and Calculation, you can slightly bend the other players character.
As you read before with Tom and Lily, Tom didn’t Attempt to grab her hand, he just grabbed it. And in the right environment, that is acceptable, but the lines between God Emoting and not are very slim, so be weary and warned.
Example:
*Jack took Sara’s jaw and forced their lips together for a kiss.*
Rather than:
*Jack tried to take Sara’s jaw.
Sara didn’t stop him.
Jack forced their lips together for a kiss.*
- The constant asking of permission sometimes gets monotonous and takes the joy out of it. Sometimes surprises are great fun! But let there always be caution, because over stepping the line may cost you.
- Save me, the amount of times my character’s arms has been cut off, or fingers, or stabbed through the chest- And even on the one occasion, killed- through the demon that is God Emoting. And being given no option but to accept it! - Some of us heavy, hard core Rpers take what happens to their character totally serious, and won’t undo it once its done. - Though luckily, I am no so hardcore, and did take that portion of my characters RP out, I didn’t want to carve R.I.P. on her tomb just yet.

Back to the basics of Calculation, just to make sure its clear. Though if there are questions, you know where to find me!:
First calculate Advantages and Disadvantages, Surprise, and even sometimes Chance.
Example to make everything clear!:
*Dalian rose from his chair as an intruder burst into his chambers, noticing a brandished sword, he unsheathed his own and rose.*
= Equal terms, they can both see each other, there isn’t a great element of surprise, the threat seems clear, though his person could be using his sword as emphasise, or it could be serious. Dalian, depending on his characteristics, may be cautious.
*The stranger hovered in the door, light streaming in from behind him, obscuring his face. With intent to kill, as a hired assassin, he leapt to attack.*
= Dependant on characteristics, ego and motivation, this could be played in many ways. There could be a dance of verbal battle before the real fighting happens, perhaps to flush out the story line, the intent, or maybe its just business time.
*Dalian parried the attack, the opponents circled, looking for an opening. Dalian struck with a downward swing.*
= The red indicates that a ‘safe’ using of the other players character has been done. Its not interfering with the other players character, merely predicting the predictable action and making it. Since we should know each others characters a little, it is often safe to assume an action, if it runs true with the characteristics of that character. (saying that if the character is unpredictable, don’t do something that would be out of character.) and Always ask permission, unless you utterly, 100% know its ok to do such a simple move on the other players behalf.
*The assassin blocked the attack, deflecting it with his sword. With the opening, he attacked again, an upward slice aimed at the chest*
= Another thing to be aware of, is when the attack has been attempted, it is in the other players hands and calculation to decide what happens. Whether it is deflected, dodged, parried, etc, or strikes true, and also how much damage it does. But, if you believe it is unfair, you have the right to bring it to attention, because always deflecting or dodging an attack without cause is also a form of God Emoting, if it has no reason. (With the calculation, it should be clear whether it is fair or not. Because if a player has roled a ghost, or amazingly quick re-flexed character changes the fairness and chances, calculation and everything. If you feel it is unfair, then its likely it is, or you have missed something.)

I hope this was enlightening and satisfactory, and hopefully taught you something!
..If not, major fail on my part.
Hopefully more knowledge on other subjects within RP coming soon.

Last edited by Kaylia on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kaylia

View user profile http://greendragonlady.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: RP Fighting Guide - Tips

Post  Tsugawa on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:00 am

Awesome guide! This would prove very valuable on the Pokemon RP. Nice work!
Tsugawa
Admin

View user profile http://rphaven.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaylia on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Meh, it took me a while to whittle down the mass of drone to just this amount. Any less and I don't think I would be teaching, but there is so much more that can be explained, you can go into so small detail.
I do all the calculations in my head within several seconds, but thats through practice and understanding, sometimes you just have to work it out in OOC with your RP partner(s).
I hope it made sense, I can write more on the subject, giving more indepth examples.
I'll start writing what I know about other RP subjects at some point. Maybe Character Creation, or the basics (which you guys already know! Both of!)
There's not a lot to know, its all in your imagination. Smile
Kaylia

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsugawa on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 pm

I think I got it down, your actions all revolve around common sense really, like as an example, we have a 7ft beast of a guy, all muscles, and we have a 5ft, athletic build, Asian guy. The larger of the too is stronger and thus percentage wise would be maybe 75>25% of the Asian but also slower, by roughly 35>65% of the Asian guy, then all the other factors involved, any abilities or powers one might have, there surroundings and all that would play a roll on the outcome.

The we have the whole RP section, where God RPing is a no no, thus have to be careful with your words. Instead of say "The large brute struck the smaller man and sent him across the room" it would have to be "The large brute clenched his fist and swung his arm in an attempt to strike the smaller man".

I hope I got it anyways : - S
Tsugawa
Admin

View user profile http://rphaven.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaylia on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Yes, thats the jist of it. Though I would say that Anything, and almost Everything can alter the percentages, it just depends how deep you look. I always try to stay on the surface, but obvious things like Surprise is always key.
If one character wasn't aware of the 'attacker', there is no equal point, thus the Attacker can make a clean, unhindered, unlikely to block, attack. - Of cause, the damage it does is then up to the other player, and you can't kill another character in one hit, because its not fair. If you aim at the head, it always has to be on an equal round. Unless its been predecided that one will die and the other will win.
Kaylia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down