Basic RP Guide - Tips

Go down

Basic RP Guide - Tips

Post  Kaylia on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:03 am

RPing Guidelines:
RPing with me has always been based purely upon Trust, Friendship and Fairness.
As I went into it with the previous Guideline post, I use Calculation for a lot of my RPing, it is so ingrained into me now I do it without thought. I can go into this, but for the basics it is hardly needed, the only time you would consider it is when touching another players character.
RPing is totally to do with preference, how you introduce your character, how you describe them and their surroundings, if you start a scene in the fray or casual. It is based also on your Character, which will define Everything your character does. (I will go into an example on Section 2)

But for now, Basics:

I always say, the most important thing to keep in mind while writing an RP response, is this:
Speach. (what character Says. "....")
Action. (what character does, movement, big or small)
Emotion. (what character feels.)
Setting/Surrounding. (what character notices, or becomes apparent in background/story line)
Thought. (characters thoughts. '....')
Atmosphere. (of character, and/or surroundings.)
Cause and Effect. (something happens, and what happens as a result of it.)
The reason for this, is that having a block of Infomation (such as I told Emerald Goddess) is often just too hard to digest and picture, (your mind will always work in its profered way. And imagination will Always fill in the blanks, only needing a hint to build a picture) I will use the same example I gave Emerald Goddess, because I seriously cannot be bothered with writing out a new one.

Example:
Flinn put the glass on his table as he sat, running his palm over the well varnished, yet scarred wood. His fingers brushed over the most recent indentation, where his knife had struck in anger last night.
He didn't exactly remember what had happened, there had been too much drink, one too many girls trying to get to him. His woman had become angry and challenged him in this room.
He didn't remember where she was, either, couldn't remember if she had left in a flood of tears, as she had so many times before, or if she lay in his bed asleep, as she did most other times.
Waking up on the sofa did have advantages, but the sore neck was bothering him greatly.
He rubbed the crick in his spine as he held the glass to his throbbing head.
Must cut down on the drink..
-
In that completely off the top of my head scene, I am partially describing the Surroundings, but mostly the Emotion, the Character.
A vague history and small incident has been hinted, also vaguely suggesting that this has happened before. You also see he might have a problem with drink.
As one of the things I've read about stories, the key part in a scene, is something has to Change, and that is the Catch, that snags the attention of the reader. In this, you are instantly thrown into a slight dilemma, given reason to Catch, a history that also can suggest a Future, whether dark or light. Do tell me if I am wrong!
I could go into more depth about the room, thus explaining it. But, as always, the readers imagination will Always somehow fill in the blanks. So rather than spesifics of where things are and how they're placed, Hint at it, make it important to the Character, because if they don't notice it, why is it even important? It can always be added later, broardening the Surroundings, clearing the Blanks in the image you build.
-
His eyes opened slowly, still hazey from his brain pounding head ache. The plaster wall across the room spun out of focus, forcing his eyes to close briefly. He would have to repaint at some point, it was peeling and chipping away, with the constant violation the walls got.
Hm. He did remember shoving her against the wall, with his body, but he couldn't remember if it had been in anger, or lust, or even both..
A chair was on its back on a crinkled carpet, he remembered falling over that, as well. But other than that, the room was sparse, only a sofa and a wash basin in the small room, beside the fridge.
He groaned in pain, closing his eyes against the afternoon light and pressing the cold glass to his head again.
Let the hang over go soon, please..
-
I never introduce a character with their Appearance first, because its just not interesting unless you have a feel for the characteristics inside, if you're not Caught, then its just tedious to read 'He looked like this, and this, and this' same as 'The room looked like this, and this, and this.' Man the monotony is killing me already!

Section 2:
Korra, say, is a very bitchy mean ass, and would never ever ever in her Life put someone she'd just met or didn't trust in front of her own needs. That is her defining character. She would Never decide to run back and pick up the man or woman that fell behind when being chased, because those people are Weak because of their own Failings, in her eyes. (Though, she would likely go back for a child, since children have not yet made their lives, they still have paths open.)
She, say, would Never Ever Ever Ever EVER wear a dress, (like meee) and she would probably stab anyone who dared bring a dress near her, (though probably through the hand, just to make sure they didn't dare again. She's not Always a murderer.)
Another Korra basd example, she will Always get her feathers ruffled to do with Men taking Advantage of Women, because that is part of her characteristics.
These small things define what happens within the RP, and when you stray from that and do something Uncharacteristic, the character become unbelieveably, and Unreal. (Though, you can have a character do the famous Heroes Arc, but there would have to be a Reason, a Cause, to Effect Why Korra would run back and save the women who fell while being chased.)

Character creation is a whole other subject, that I will probably guide on some other time. But for now, I hope this is helpful.

Just don't, for the sake of my sanity, God Emote. I believe I went into it on the previous Guidelines post.

*'Text RP' is just the term I would characterise my use of RP as, though there is already a definition of Test RP, it is not what I do, or the people on this forum. 'Text RP', for me, is exactly what the name implies.
*Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen-and-paper_RPG

Faithfully! Your Kaylia! Crazy-Ass-Bitch-Of-Evilness

Last edited by Kaylia on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaylia

View user profile http://greendragonlady.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Basic RP Guide - Tips

Post  Tsugawa on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:07 am

Awesome Guide! ( : : ) big cookie for the hard work!

It's really good and will really help out.
Tsugawa
Admin

View user profile http://rphaven.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaylia on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 am

I will do more at some point, for even more basics. -hug-
Kaylia

View user profile http://greendragonlady.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scilia on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Lovely this was an awesome guide!!!! I've picked up a thing or two from it, it's really user friendly yet covers a lot of the basics. Good Job!!!!
Scilia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down